A team of 15 innovative minds have brought to the world its first modular smartwatch that comes with detachable modules to help you customize a smartwatch for yourself according to your needs. While we already have smartwatches in the market, BLOCKS’ attempt to customize it for you which sets this modular smartwatch apart from the others. With the overwhelming advancement of technology a watch like this will be welcomed by many users who would want to make the most out of their accessories.
How Does It Work?
BLOCKS is a smartwatch that is made up of small blocks that can be easily detached. The core of the watch is the main watch face which is powered by a Qualcomm processor and runs on Android Lollipop. The wristband is made up of small modules that can be attached to each other to fit on your wrist. Every module performs a separate set of functions, and you can choose the modules that best suit your lifestyle to build your smartwatch. BLOCKS is in the process of developing new modules and it aims at continuously creating newer modules to meet the growing demands of its users. The modules that are currently available with BLOCKS are the following:
- Extra Battery Module – An extra battery module boosts the battery life of your smartwatch by 20%. Extensive users of the device may find this extremely useful especially when you may not have the option to charge your device over a long period of time.
- Heart Rate Module – Athletes and Fitness Enthusiasts will find this module extremely helpful to gauge their heart rate while working out.
- GPS Module – While other smartwatches in the market are dependent on your phone to track locations, BLOCKS is the first modular smartwatch to achieve this singularly. So if you forget your phone at home, you wouldn’t really have to worry about getting lost while you have the BLOCKS smartwatch with you.
- NFC (Near Field Communication) Contactless Module – The near field communication technology is used for identifying us and our bank details so that payments can be made using your device. With this technology available in your smartwatch now, all you have to do is flick your wrist to pay your bills.
- Adventure Module – For smartwatch users who like to stay updated on the temperature, pressure and altitude of a region, this module will suit your needs well.
The Core Clock
The core of your smartwatch has an elegant display and has been designed to last for a long period of time. The core can perform the following functions in addition to telling time:
- Making and receiving calls directly from the smartwatch.
- Helps you track your daily activities and exercise levels.
- You can set reminders and synchronize your calendar on your smartwatch so that you never miss important events.
- Social media notifications and text messages will be available on your wrist.
- Record voice memos using the BLOCKS smartwatch, you can also use this in meetings when you need to capture important information.
- The smartwatch also allows you to track your sleeping patterns helping you adapt to a healthier lifestyle.
Right now Blocks is on Kickstarter & will enter a crowdfunding phase in Q2 of next year, with pricing yet to be announced. The watch is supposed to be available by the end of 2015.
Have a video preview of Blocks: